Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Introducing Alyssa

Hi everyone! My name is Alyssa Giles and I am the newly hired Museum Services Coordinator here at ANSM. I’m originally from a small community outside of Bonavista, NL, but have been living in Truro on-and-off for the past 10 years.

I completed my Bachelor of Science in Animal Science from Dalhousie University’s agricultural campus in Truro in 2016, and later a Graduate Certificate in Museum and Gallery Studies at Georgian College in Barrie, ON in 2019. Throughout my studies, I worked summer jobs interpreting at historic sites, including the Cape Bonavista lighthouse and the Mockbeggar Plantation heritage home in Bonavista, NL. I also completed an internship at the Penetanguishene Centennial Museum and Archives in Penetanguishene, ON, where I processed a backlog of new acquisitions and created a user-friendly guide to museum collections management software for staff and volunteers. After moving back to Nova Scotia in 2019, I worked several contract positions at the Colchester Historeum Museum and Archives, focusing mainly on the reappraisal, reorganization, preventative conservation, and digitization of archival materials. Since early 2022, I was a Science Educator at the Discovery Centre, developing and providing STEAM-related workshops and educational programming across Nova Scotia.

In my spare time, you can find me in my community garden plot tending to my vegetable jungle, doing crossword puzzles, playing music, or camping in our province’s beautiful parks. I love to learn and explore and am looking forward to visiting all the wonderful corners of Nova Scotia.

I am very excited to put all my knowledge and experiences to good use to help support ANSM’s member museums in whichever ways possible. I look forward to meeting with you all, and catching up with those of you that I’ve already had the pleasure of working with! Please feel free to reach out to me anytime, and I’ll see you soon!

No comments: