Friday, July 28, 2023

Farewell from Jacob

Hello everyone!
Even though it ended up being longer than we first expected, all good things must come to an end and my time at ANSM is coming to a close. What started out as an internship ended up being a bigger opportunity than I could have imagined, when I got the chance to come and work for ANSM as an employee for a few months. My experience here has been nothing short of fantastic, and I’ve learned so much!

I was interested in learning about as much as I could in the limited time I was with ANSM, but I was especially interested in learning about advocacy in the museum sector, and the process behind creating educational materials with museum resources. Fortunately, I was given the chance to do both 
things in depth during my time here. I was given the chance to sit in on and learn from a wide variety of meetings and working groups, which gave me a much better understanding of what goes into working in the heritage sector. I was also given the opportunity to create two new educational activities for educators and the public to use in Nova Scotia. Hopefully, many of you are able to make use of them in the future, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed making them!

NovaMuse.ca in French
However, this was not all that I was given the chance to do during my time here. ANSM provided me with the opportunity to participate in a huge variety of their programs and daily activities, and I was  able to learn so much from all of them. This included everything from helping a museum migrate into their new CollectiveAccess database, not only helping keep it organized but also helping set up translation for the backend, to helping create social media posts of all kinds for our Facebook and Twitter pages. It was exciting to get to see so many of the things that ANSM does for its members, and to get the chance to help with them!

This opportunity has given me a chance to learn so much, and I appreciate ANSM giving me this fantastic opportunity! Any potential intern who has a chance to work with ANSM in the future will get so much out of their time here, and I cannot recommend it enough. Many thanks to Karin, Maggie and the rest of the staff at ANSM for giving me such great guidance and mentorship! I’m excited to see where ANSM goes from here, and how it continues to grow as an organization.

Best of luck,

Jacob

No comments: