Thursday, September 15, 2022

Come Along with Me - Cape Breton Trip with Summer Intern Madeline

A few weeks ago, I was given the opportunity to travel to Cape Breton for two of the Unlocking Community Museum Collections community sessions; one in Membertou and one in Iona. I was also able to tag along with Brittany on several advisory site visits. 



LeNoir Forge Museum

It was great to meet and chat with so many lovely people during the advisory visits. We learned about the local history of Guysborough at the Old Court House Museum, explored the interactive exhibits at Old Sydney Society, took a ride on the virtual mine experience at the Cape Breton Miners Museum, and enjoyed the stunning scenery at LeNoir Forge Museum. During these visits, we were also able to have some great conversations about CollectiveAccess and share digitization tips and tricks with museums. We were especially impressed with the great database work that some summer students have been doing and their enthusiasm for learning more about CollectiveAccess! 

The community sessions built upon the information gathered at the previous two sessions, but also opened up some interesting and important new areas of discussion that will help inform the future of the project.

Sydney Waterfront

We finished our trip with many fun new memories and lots to think about. Driving back to Halifax, taking in the beautiful scenery of summer in Nova Scotia, I thought about how my time at ANSM is quickly coming to an end. I am so grateful for all of the incredible opportunities and experiences that I have gained during my time here and I want to thank everyone that I have met for being so friendly and welcoming. I look forward to visiting more museums across the province in the future and maybe even crossing paths with some of you again! 


- Madeline


No comments: