Thursday, May 12, 2022

Introducing Ms. Brittany Houghton

Hello everyone, my name is Brittany Houghton and I’m happy to announce that I’m the new Member Service Coordinator with ANSM! Born and raised in Halifax, NS, I can never stray too far from the province - the salty air always calls me back!  Since graduating from the Cultural Heritage Conservation and Management Graduate program at Sir Sandford Fleming College, Peterborough, Ontario in 2020, I’ve worked as a private practicing cultural heritage conservator. As a conservator I’ve had the opportunity to travel around the province working with different museums and institutions such as the O’Dell House Museum in Annapolis Royal, Saint Ninian’s Cathedral in Antigonish and The Halifax Citadel - Parks Canada. I’ve enjoyed the connections I’ve made with different community members. 


My passion for cultural heritage began at a young age. In 2004, I participated in a public archaeological dig at the National Historic Site of Fort Beausejour. Mud-caked and sunburnt, I was hooked! I began my career as an historical archaeologist, graduating from Saint Mary’s University, Halifax, Nova Scotia in 2014 with an Honours degree in Anthropology (concentration Archaeology). With time my interests shifted from uncovering our cultural heritage to preserving it. 


I’m an active member of the Canadian Association for Conservation of Cultural Property and I’ve served on the board of the Nova Scotia Archaeology Society as the Student Liaison and then President. I’m very excited to embark on this new journey with ANSM! I look forward to learning from you and supporting you in this new role.


No comments: