Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Introducing Krystal Tanner!

Oh hey there! My name is Krystal Tanner and I am happy to announce that I am serving as the new Member Services Coordinator. I’ll be filling in for Emma while she is away on parental leave for the next few months.

I’ve been enjoying working in the museum field in a variety of capacities since graduating from Fleming College’s Museum Management and Curatorship program in 2015. My main role has been as the Curator/Manager of Randall House Museum in Wolfville where I started off as the Heritage Interpreter & Guide in 2014. 

My favourite part of any museum job that I’ve had is working with the collection – from digitizing and entering information onto a database to allowing artifacts to tell stories. My favourite memory of museum life would have to be from three years ago when a couple was visiting Randall House and I had a pair of sock stretchers sitting on the table waiting to be photographed. I will always remember how the wife tearfully shared with me a story about her mother-in-law who used to knit wool socks for her husband before she developed dementia. I'd for a lot of years been connecting visitors with objects that belonged to their family members from long, long ago but I’d never once had someone be that overcome with emotion before!

I think about that moment often and I remember why it is that I love what I do. I love all of those personal connections I get to make (I still snail mail with visitors from 5 years ago), I love knowing that when I hold an object that it, at one time, meant something to someone, I love sharing spooky ghost stories, and the list goes on and on. I am very excited to embark on this new journey with ANSM and to find new things that I love about this museum life that I live. I'm looking forward to learning, to growing professionally, to making new connections and most especially I’m excited to eat cake!


No comments: