Monday, May 8, 2017

Introducing Ms. Hanslep

Hello! My name is Kassandra Hanslep and I am joining ANSM this summer as an intern. This internship will finishup my studies at Fleming College in the Museum Management and Curatorship graduate certificate program. I am excited to be in Halifax for a fun and busy summer!

Originally from Toronto, my family moved out of the city after I finished high school, now residing just south of Collingwood, Ontario. I completed my undergraduate degree in History at Western University (formerly University of Western Ontario). While I loved reading and writing about history, I was looking for a way to apply my studies outside of academia. This led me to my first museum experience – helping to curate a historical photography exhibit at the Dufferin County Museum & Archives.

Having fallen in love with museum work, I spent the following summer working at The Collingwood Museum. I was lucky enough to be there as they were undertaking a reorganization project of their largest storage room as part of CCI’s RE-ORG Canada. This involved moving every single artifact out of storage, and back in once new storage furniture had been installed. I was accepted back at The Collingwood Museum for the next summer as well, allowing me to expand on my Collections Management knowledge and work.
I feel privileged to be at ANSM as part of my museum journey. I look forward to taking in all of Nova Scotia’s beautiful scenery, friendly people, and delicious seafood!

No comments: