Friday, August 12, 2016

Farewell from Heather the Intern

Cutting my farewell cake with
Jennifer supervising - it was
amazing!
Hello all!

It’s hard to believe that my summer internship here at the ANSM is already coming to a close. I can’t believe how fast the summer flew by and how much I was able to accomplish and learn here. If you’ve read my introduction post, you may realize I’m from Ontario and had never previously traveled out east, so making a move here was a calculated risk. However, I can’t express how glad I am that I chose to do my internship at the ANSM.

I had thought that if I were to travel to a different province for my internship, it would be great to see as much of it as possible. Even though I don’t have a car, I was still able to see new places and meet so many wonderful people thanks to the 10 or so site visits I did with Sandi (and a few with Karin as well). This was such a great aspect of my internship. Not only did it align with one of my projects, #ProjectVicky, and my desire to further my knowledge and experience with digitization, but it allowed me to meet so many wonderful museum professionals, whether it was staff, volunteers, summer students or museum enthusiasts. Of course, Anita, Karin, Jennifer and Sandi were all amazing to work with and being in a team of such passionate and hard-working women motivated me to push myself further. I'm so thankful I was able to work with them!

A large part of my time here was spent working on our SME basket project (#MuseumBasketCases on NovaMuse's Facebook and Twitter), which I can never say enough great things about. Working with Joleen Gordon was definitely a highlight and I'm glad this project came to be, even though it wasn't something we initially thought would happen when I was pursuing this internship. Being able to learn about so many types of baskets from 28 sites across the province was huge for me. I really enjoyed the feedback I received from museums about my work and I feel confident I made a positive impact in these records. I'm really happy to see so much great database work from so many sites. Nova Scotia's museums are truly wonderful and being able to get a closer look into some of them was really special.

I will likely be going back to Ontario but have pursued possible employment in both Nova Scotia and Ontario, so we'll see what happens! In either case I will have to come back to visit and explore some more! Nova Scotia is so amazing. 

All the best,

Heather McCorquodale

No comments: