Monday, May 7, 2012

Introducing Ms. Wickett

Hope
Hello all! My name is Hope Wickett and I will be interning with the Association of Nova Scotia Museums from now until the end of the summer. This internship is a requirement, and counts as the final semester, of the post-graduate Museums Management and Curatorship (or MMC as we fondly call it) program at Fleming College in Peterborough, Ontario.

I am originally from Hamilton, Ontario a mid size city about an hour outside of Toronto. I lived in downtown Hamilton for all of my life until it was time to go to university. I have always been interested in theatre and history (specifically historical clothing) and I was lucky enough to find a combination of the two in the Costume Studies program at Dalhousie University here in Halifax. I completed my four year undergrad there and graduated with an Honours BA in Theatre specializing in Costume Studies.

During university I decided that in the future I wanted to work in museums instead of the theatre. I searched through many post-graduate programs and stumbled upon the MMC course that Fleming offers. It is a one year intensive immersion program that really allows students to work closely with collections and apply the lecture material. When the posting came up for this placement with the ANSM I jumped at the chance to come back to the East Coast, once Nova Scotia gets under your skin it doesn’t leave again! I am also looking forward to working closely with several textile collections and a photography kit to help update the database records (I forgot to mention that I am also a camera nut and worked in a photography store for four years).   

I did not get a chance to explore much outside of Halifax when I lived here before so this placement will be a great opportunity for me to get to know the province better. I am really excited to be working with everyone at the ANSM and look forward to meeting some of you during site visits with Karin over the course of the summer. 

3 comments:

J Goreham-Penney said...

Here's to a great summer internship, Hope! We have similar backgrounds- I did costume studies at Dal as well (when it was a diploma programme) and did the 3 year diploma in Museum Studies from Algonquin College in Ottawa. No regrets, switching my focus from theatre to heritage and culture.

Karin said...

Thanks J!! Glad to hear you have no regrets.

canary said...

Look forward to meeting you, Hope.