Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Introducing Mr. Selman


Hi everybody!  My name is Chris, and I’m very excited to be in Nova Scotia to work as part of the Association of Nova Scotia Museums team for the next four months.  This internship is the final requirement for completing the CollectionsConservation and Management (CCM) Program at Fleming College in Peterborough, Ontario.

I grew up in rural Ontario in a place called Prince Edward County (about 2 hours east of Toronto), and minus some time served in Peterborough during school months (four years at Trent University and one year at Fleming College) have lived there my entire life- until now.  Not a whole lot to do in rural Ontario…played hockey a fair bit, exhibited chickens/ducks/pigeons at shows, and spent a lot of time reading or wandering around the farm (being an only child and having friends that live a ½ hour car ride away will do that).

It was all that reading that got me hooked on history.  It was my favourite subject all through school, so it was natural that I decided to major in it at university- which I really enjoyed.  The only downfall of a history degree is the whole “using it to find a job” problem that emerges afterwards. 

That led me to CCM at Fleming.  The program was very “hands-on,” and practical learning assignments (and this internship) will, hopefully, lend themselves to addressing the “using it to find a job” problem (I’ll let future Chris deal with that for now though).  Right now, again, I’m just really excited to be here.  I’ve never been to the East Coast of Canada before, so everything is new- which is pretty exciting (and a little intimidating).  I’ve toured around a little bit on my way down here from Ontario, I have weekends off, and Karin is going to let me tag along on some site visits, so hopefully I can see as much of the province as I can before my internship is over and future Chris has to start worrying about new things.  I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible and visiting your sites!      
  

No comments: