Monday, June 20, 2011

Museum Travels - Digby County

As I've mentioned before, I like statistics.  And the stats say that we have a lot of people reading the blog who aren't from Canada so may have no idea what Nova Scotia is like.  So I thought I'd have a sort of photo review of my museum site visits around our fair province for all the Australians and Ukrainians and Russians who have been regularly checking in.  Enjoy, and stay tuned for many more.  Summer's just beginning.

My first stop was the Kings County Museum in Kentville.  Yes I know this isn't in Digby County but I stopped on my way.  While this wasn't their official seasonal site visit, since I was passing through it seemed like a good opportunity to pick up their database file for cleaning & migration.  It also gave the curator and I a chance to talk about the new database and our big plans for future work.  With almost 12,000 entries this is one of the largest databases being migrated to the new CollectiveAccess system, so sitting down with the curator to show her what to expect and how easily she'll be able to work with the collection was a nice way to break up what would have been a 3 hour drive.  By the time I got to Digby the weather was starting to clear and I got to enjoy some great scenery.

my favorite view in the province
Admiral Digby Museum

I spent Thursday at the Admiral Digby Museum with the curator and summer student.  We had a very full day of reviewing the CollectiveAccess database and dreaming up all sorts of potential projects.  I'm especially interested in seeing all the old photographs in the Digby collection, because I know that what's currently in the database is only the tip of the iceberg. 
There was some sort of antique car event taking place in town, or at least a tour group who decided to stop in Digby.  The downtown was lined with some beautiful old cars, and the locals were definitely enjoying the treat.  It's not every day you get to see a century-old automobile, let alone 10 of them.


downtown Digby
Friday was spent in Freeport with the Islands Historical Society volunteers and summer students.  Maritime hospitality at its finest, they had homemade seafood chowder for our lunch and cookies for dessert.  I somehow managed not to take a picture of the Archives, so I'll have to remedy that the next time around.  As in Digby, we reviewed the new system, set up some extra logins for volunteers and students, and came up with a good work plan for the season.  There was a lot of interest in the georeferencing feature of the new database, as so many items in the collection can be traced to an exact location.  Those students and volunteers are going to be very, very busy. 
on the way to the Islands Museum
wharf & rockweed at low tide











It was a hectic few days, but great to be back on the road. Until next time...
heading home


No comments: